Volunteering with NYRR Youth & Community Services
Thank you for your interest in volunteering with NYRR Youth and Community Services. Please read through the descriptions of YCS volunteer opportunities below to learn more about our different volunteer roles. You can sign up for available volunteer roles through your My NYRR account.
Please note: Those interested in certain volunteer opportunities that work directly with our youth runners are required to complete an online background check and a screening process before being assigned to some specific roles. This process is necessary to help secure the safety of our children.
Youth Events Support
Throughout the school year NYRR Youth and Community Services produces small (10-50 participants) and large (500-2,500 participants) running and fitness events. Volunteers who support these endeavors are assigned to a variety of roles, including, but not limited to, registering participants, organizing participants for their races, distributing T-shirts, water, and food to participants, cheering on and directing participants throughout the course, and managing baggage for teams. In whichever role they perform, volunteers contribute to the success of NYRR Youth & Community Services events and help coaches, parents, and children have a fun and empowering day!
When: Weekends and weekdays (mornings and afternoons) during the school year
Where: Parks, stadiums, and other facilities throughout the five boroughs
Time Commitment: Ranges from 2 to 6 hours, scheduled on an event-by-event basis
Training Commitment: None
9+1 Program and 9+$1K Program
The 9+1 and 9+$1K programs allow NYRR members who meet eligibility requirements to earn guaranteed entry to the TCS New York City Marathon!
Runners completing their 9+1 program toward the 2017 TCS New York City Marathon must have their nine races and one volunteer opportunity completed by December 31, 2016.
Runners completing their 9+$1K program must have their nine races completed and make their $1,000 donation to NYRR's Youth and Community Services programs by December 31, 2016.
Here are the requirements for the 2017 TCS New York City Marathon 9+1 program:
- Join NYRR by December 31, 2016 (must have an active NYRR membership by year's end)
- Complete nine scored, New York Road Runners qualifying races in 2016
- Volunteer at one qualifying New York Road Runners event in 2016
- Apply for guaranteed entry to the 2017 TCS New York City Marathon (information available in late 2016)
Rules and Restrictions
- Volunteering in 2016 satisfies the volunteering requirement for the 2017 TCS New York City Marathon only—not for the 2016 race.
- Volunteering on race day (November 6, 2016) at the 2016 TCS New York City Marathon does not count toward the 9+1 guaranteed entry requirements.
- Volunteering at a race-week activity (such as the TCS New York City Marathon Health and Fitness Expo, the Marathon Eve Dinner, or the NYRR Dash to the Finish Line 5K) does fulfill your volunteer requirement.
- Volunteering to fulfill your 2017 +1 requirement must be completed by December 31, 2016—no exceptions.
- You may send a substitute to volunteer on your behalf and still meet your 9+1 requirement. The runner needing the +1 credit should register for the volunteer opportunity and the substitute should check in and serve on your behalf on race day. The substitute must be 18 years old or older.
- You are not permitted to volunteer and participate in a race on the same day. If you attempt to do so, you will not receive credit for volunteering or for the race.
- Most volunteer shifts are 4-5 hours. You must be prepared to help out during the whole shift for which you are scheduled and fulfill your volunteer duties as described. You will forfeit your volunteer credit if you do not complete your service or if you engage in inappropriate behavior.