9+1 Program and 9+$1K Program
The 9+1 and 9+$1K programs allow NYRR members who meet eligibility requirements to earn guaranteed entry to the TCS New York City Marathon! (Please scroll down for information about the 9+$1K program.)
Runners completing their 9+1 program toward the 2019 TCS New York City Marathon must have their nine races and one volunteer opportunity completed by December 31, 2018.
Runners completing their 9+$1K program must have their nine races completed and make their $1,000 donation to NYRR's youth and community services programs by December 31, 2018.
Here are the requirements for the 2019 TCS New York City Marathon:
9+1 for 2019
- Join NYRR by December 31, 2018 (must have an active NYRR membership by year's end)
- Complete nine scored, qualifying races in 2018
- Volunteer at one NYRR event in 2018
- Apply for guaranteed entry to the 2019 TCS New York City Marathon (information available in late 2018)
Rules and Restrictions
- Volunteering in 2018 satisfies the volunteering requirement for the 2019 marathon only—not the 2018 marathon.
- Volunteering on race day (November 4, 2018) at the 2018 TCS New York City Marathon does not count toward the 9+1 guaranteed entry requirements.
- Volunteering at a race-week activity (such as the TCS New York City Marathon Health and Wellness Expo Presented by New Balance or the Abbott Dash to the Finish Line 5K) does fulfill your volunteer requirement.
- Volunteering to fulfill your 2019 +1 requirement must be completed by December 31, 2018—no exceptions.
- You may send a substitute to volunteer on your behalf and still meet your 9+1 requirement. The runner needing the +1 credit should register for the volunteer opportunity and the substitute should check in and serve on your behalf on race day. The substitute must be 18 years old or older.
- You are not permitted to volunteer and participate in a race on the same day. If you attempt to do so, you will not receive credit for volunteering or for the race.
- Most volunteer shifts are 4-5 hours. You must be prepared to help out during the whole shift for which you are scheduled and fulfill your volunteer duties as described. You will forfeit your volunteer credit if you do not complete your service or if you engage in inappropriate behavior.
- If you are volunteering with NYRR's youth programs or events, you must volunteer for a minimum of 3 hours to receive your +1 credit.
We highly recommend volunteering in the first half of the year, before you have completed your nine races. We have many volunteer spots available early in the year—especially at our winter races—but spots quickly fill up later in the year as many runners rush to fulfill their requirements by December 31.
Although you are only required to volunteer once, you are encouraged to give back to the NYRR community regularly.
If you have any questions about fulfilling your +1 or volunteering with NYRR, or if you'd like to suggest a community partner organization, please contact us at email@example.com.
9+$1K for 2019
For this program, in place of the volunteering requirement, individuals can choose to donate $1,000 to NYRR’s youth and community services programs.
Runners completing the 9+$1K program for entry into the 2019 TCS New York City Marathon must have their nine races completed and make their $1,000 donation to NYRR's youth and community services programs by December 31, 2018.
Please contact Sarah Innes, assistant manager of individual giving, to make a donation.